What is The Working Mind (TWM)?
TWM (www.theworkingmind.ca): Workplace Mental Health and Wellness, is an education-based program designed to address and promote mental health and reduce the stigma of mental illness in a workplace setting.
TWM offers three tailored course options:
There are three versions of TWM: one for trainers (five days), one for managers/supervisors (eight hours), one for employees /“frontline” staff (four hours). These courses include scenario-based practical applications and custom videos of people with lived experience of mental illness, reference guides and related handouts.
The manager and employee versions include:
- A focus on dispelling the myths of mental health problems and mental illnesses, aiming to reduce associated stigma
- An overview of the Mental Health Continuum Model
- Self-assessment of one’s own mental health along the continuum
- Strategies one can apply at each point along the continuum
The managers’ version includes additional course content, such as:
- Workplace accommodations and return to work
- How to observe changes in employees along the continuum
- Appropriate actions to take
- How to communicate with employees about mental health illness in a workplace context
The train-the-trainer course equips people with the tools and skills to present both the frontline and manager versions of The Working Mind. The train-the-trainer course is/includes:
- Taught by master trainers
- Background information on mental health
- Extensive information on the key concepts of the employee and manager
- Structured presentation practice time
- Evaluation of presentation skills by master trainers and TWM trainers
- To support the mental health and wellbeing of employees
- To enable the full productivity of employees
- To ensure the workplace is respectful and inclusive of all employees, including those with mental health problems and mental illness
- To encourage employees to seek help for mental health problems and mental illness
- To examine the effects of mental health problems and mental illness in the workplace
- To help staff identify indicators of declining and poor mental health in themselves and others
- To introduce the concept of Mental Health Continuum Model
- To review employees', managers', and employers' mental health rights and responsibilities
- To provide strategies staff can use to maintain good mental health
Visit www.theworkingmind.ca for full program detail.